Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What makes Winton the expert with First Nations Housing?
At our factory in Prince George, BC, Winton Homes has been building homes for 30 years and has built over 1100 homes in 52 communities. We have a First Nations Housing Division with reserved pricing for First Nations communities and status card holders.
2. What is a factory-framed home?
Factory-framed (otherwise known as prefab) means building in advance. Winton has a wall plant and a truss plant so we build the wood components and include all materials needed to get your home to lock up.
3. What is included in a Winton package?
Our standard packages include all the materials you need to get your home to lock up (weather tight) ready for finishing. This includes the walls, trusses, doors, windows, siding roofing, soffits, fascia and misc. finishing materials.
When you purchase a package and stand it, the outside of the home is finished and the inside has the interior stud walls standing and the home is ready for your sub trades.
4. How much is it going to cost?
Winton packages have a large range depending on design, foundation and material selecions. Typically, they represent about 25% to 30% of the total build costs.
Build costs will vary region to region.
5. Do I need a builder?
Yes. We work with you for the custom design, give you the blueprints and a builder has to put in the foundation and erect your Winton package. The plumbing & mechanical, electrical, flooring and finishing are required by sub-trades or a general contractor.
6. How long does it take to build?
Typically, once your Winton package arrives on site, your package should be at lock up anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks; this depends on the size of the home. It should take about 10-12 weeks from the time the truck arrives on site to move in.
7. What are the benefits of a Winton package?
- Custom design service – We have stock plans as a starting point and they might work for you or we might have to customize your plan. That may be to add square footage, add a carport, put it on a basement or move some walls. We design exactly what you’re looking for to suit your needs and your budget.
- Faster lock-up – Because the walls are framed and all your materials are on site, this reduces the framing labour by 40%. The packages go up faster than traditional stick framing which means you move in faster!
- Eco-friendly – We build your home in climate controlled conditions using computerized technology. This means you are getting precision-built walls and trusses with the added benefits of 55% less lumber waste and 60% less sheathing waste.
- Professional Project Coordination – As part of our service, your Project Coordinator is with you before, during and after your build.
9. How do I get started?
Call us at 1.888.296.8059